Yesterday I received a crappy comment online.
For the most part, I’ve learned how to ignore crap messages from random people on the internet. But for some reason, this little comment hit a nerve and triggered some of my personal insecurities.
So, I did what anyone normal person would do. I spend 2 hours moping and bitching, then spent another 2 hours crafting a lengthy, defensive, and smart-ass reply so that I could prove to this stranger that I was smarter than him!
I was about to hit the send button, but then I quickly checked myself.
I asked myself these 3 questions:
- Am I sending goodness into the world with this reply? (NO)
- Am I actually going to educate this dude? (Probably not)
- Do I have better things to do? (YES)
I deleted my lengthy response and went with my favorite 1-line reply… “Thanks for your perspective!”
Taking the high road is very difficult – but it’s always worth it.
The next time you catch yourself bundled up in emotion and about to send someone a nastygram, have a quick think:
- Are you sending goodness into the world?
- Are you actually helping or educating anyone?
- Do you have better things to do?
Have a great day friends!!
Long beach walk with the Coop Dogg.