Here’s 5 quick stories from my recent Meals on Wheels adventures…
– Last week I delivered to an old lady, and when she answered the door she had no pants on. Instead of acting shy or apologizing, she just smiled and shrugged her shoulders as if to say, “I don’t really feel like wearing pants today.”
– One old lady asked me to check on her sister, who lived in an apartment a few doors down. So I went down and knocked on her door. The sister was fine, and she asked me to send a message back to the first lady. Then the first lady sent me back again with another reply. I went back and forth few more times before I recommended they just call each-other and catch up over the telephone.
– One client has trained her dog to meet me at the elevator of her building. As soon as I get buzzed in, I follow the dog who leads me right to the client’s apartment.
– I delivered to an old man this week. When he answered the door he yelled “Mike! It’s so good to see you again! I can’t believe you’re back! You’ve made my day, how are you!?”. The man was almost in tears and so excited I couldn’t get a word in. I didn’t have the heart to interrupt him and tell him I wasn’t Mike, so I just played along until I left.
– I met one lady last week who was 101 years old. No kidding, she was the oldest person I’ve ever met in my life. Still walking around, and her mind still sharp as a tack. She asked me questions about my life, and I asked about hers. She reckons the secret to happiness in life is having kids. 😬🤷🏻♂️
Have a great day!