More funny volunteering stories!
It’s been 7 months since I started with Meals on Wheels. I still only do 1 day per week, and I’ve been promoted to a regular route (delivering meals to the same people each week). It’s important to stay positive while doing volunteer work, that’s why I collect and share these funny stories with you guys…
– I was delivering a meal to an old lady last week, and she asked me what type of food was inside. I looked at the box and read her the menu. Next she asked if I could read out all the ingredients of the food. I had a few minutes, so I read her all the ingredients. Next, she asked if I could read them all out again. So I did, a little slower this time. Then, she asked if I could read them out a 3rd time… At that point, she confessed she was just lonely and wanted someone to talk to. She liked hearing my Australian accent.
– Once I got paired up with another volunteer “a helper” to assist me for the day. But she couldn’t drive (so we had to take my car), she could barely walk (so I had to do all the deliveries too), and to top it all off, she fell asleep in my passenger seat while I was out for 2 minutes delivering a meal! She was a very nice lady though…
– About a month ago, one of my clients asked me to take her trash out. I did this gladly, cause she’s an old lady and doesn’t get many visitors. Then the next week she asked me to take her trash out again and also 2 large boxes of recycling. I accepted. Then the week after, it was trash, recycling, move a table, and fix a broken light. I’m a little scared to see what she has in store for me this week, I have a problem saying No 🙁
– A few weeks ago I was driving around and the Macarena song came on the radio. I hadn’t heard the Macarena in years, so I turned the volume up. I started bobbing my head and moving my hands. One thing lead to another, and I was doing the full Macarena dance in my car. At that moment, I looked to my left and saw some kids in the car next to me were filming me on their cell phones and laughing… I’m probably on YouTube somewhere.
– One of my clients is a pretty grumpy lady. I’ve never seen her smile. So every week when I visit, I try and cheer her up. Last week I had a few jokes to tell her (I thought they were hilarious), but I still couldn’t get her to crack! We’ll see what happens this coming Friday… It’s Valentines Day and I’m thinking of bringing along 12 roses and some chocolates. I will get a smile out of her if it’s the last thing I do!
Have a great Sunday, all!